Diagnosis: Thrips Damage in Onions
- By : Reinfrid Maganga
- Country : Tanzania
- Date : August 16, 2018
- For full management and control of Thrips in onions, a combination of control methods is recommended. Here are some methods that can be use together to manage Thrips.
Cultural Control of Thrips:
- Destroy all crop debris
- Remove volunteer onion crops
- Remove all the weeds
- Maintain good pre planting and post planting sanitation
- Use of sticky traps to monitor Thrips such as Monitraps, Entraps and Roller trap
- Crop rotation (Rotate onions with crops from different families).
- Discard the infested transplants
- Proper nitrogen management
- Plant trap crops
- Use of beneficial microbes such as Mazao PREVAIL from Real IPM
- Chemical control method should not be used alone. Use selective or non toxic chemicals to reduce side the effects on beneficial insects and the environment.
- Farmers in Kenya should check that the chemicals they buy are registered with PCPB. Refer the PCPB list for registered chemicals that are effective against Thrips.